What does ENGINEER actually mean?

When I was 8, I first heard the word Engineer which is one of the two careers which we should opt. Not just me, every child of my generation are raised in the similar way either to choose medicine or Engineering. And after 12 years, many things had changed and here I am as a Civil Engineer which I feel great because that’s what the subject which drives me crazy. The scrapers which touch the sky, the Bridges which cradle in Air, the tunnels which tear up the Earth, the islands which float on water.

engineer
illustration: CS


The intended meaning of the word ENGINEER is not the same as when it has originated. The word ENGINE is derived from Latin word “ingeniare”.

The word engineer was initially used in the context of warfare, dating back to 1325 when engine’er (literally, one who operates an engine) referred to "a constructor of military engines". In this context, "engine" referred to a military machine, i. e., a mechanical contraption used in war (for example, a catapult).

Until late 18th century, there is not disparity between military and civil engineering. The first self-proclaimed civil engineer was John Smeaton, who constructed the Eddystone Lighthouse.
Previous
Next Post »